These tasty Trail Mix Bars are loaded with whole wheat flour and other great trail mix ingredients making them the perfect snack for a fun hike or busy day!
I sure wish I had created these amazing bars back when Brandon and I first got married. We had our wedding one week, went on our honeymoon the next, and moved to beautiful Arizona the next. It was a whirlwind, but we were so young, kid-free and excited about the adventures ahead. We loved living in Arizona for a few years! Our favorite thing to do on the weekends was go hiking on all the great trails. We would wake up at like 10am (like I said, we were kid-free), pack some snacks, load up the pups, and hit the trails. We would spend hours climbing some pretty steep inclines and taking in some spectacular views. I remember eating lots of trail mix and energy bars on these hikes to keep us fueled and going strong. Oh how nice it would have been to have a few of these tasty trail mix bars in our backpacks! They would have been perfect!
Well, we certainly aren’t out hiking the mountains on the weekends these days (wait, we don’t even have mountains here in Dallas!), but we stay pretty active and go non-stop every day. That’s where these yummy bars come into play! I’ve started baking them on a weekly basis. We eat them for breakfast, snacks and even dessert. They keep us energized and satisfied for several hours throughout the day. As you can see, they are loaded with all those yummy ingredients you think of when you think of a good trail mix. You would never believe they have no oil, no butter and no white sugar in them. They are 100% whole grain and 100% delicious!
These tasty bars are loaded with whole wheat flour and other great trail mix ingredients making them the perfect snack for a fun hike or busy day!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar, for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attached, beat together the peanut butter and honey until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter/honey mixture in the electric mixer bowl and beat together until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Add to the electric mixer until well combined and dough is thick.
- Add the peanuts, 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and raisins and beat on low until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place a layer of parchment paper in the bottom of a 13×9-inch baking dish. Press the dough evenly into the baking dish.
- Lift the parchment paper onto a work surface. Sprinkle the top of the unbaked dough evenly with the raw sugar and the 1/4 cup sunflower seeds. Press down gently so the raw sugar and sunflower seeds stick to the dough.
- Using a large sharp knife, cut the dough into 14 bars. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the bars for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 6 days.