Classic oatmeal cream pies made extra special with the ever so amazing…salted caramel in these Salted Caramel Oatmeal Cream Pies!
YES! I took the classic oatmeal cream pie and kicked it up a notch with salted caramel! AMAZING!!!
These cookies are loaded with little bits of caramel and are sprinkled with a little sea salt to compliment the sweetness of the caramel filling. It’s a cookie eating experience like none other!
These were so delicious the first time I made them that I knew it would be the perfect recipe to bake for my first baking demo at the great State Fair of Texas!
When I was asked to bake a few recipes in the Celebrity Chef Kitchen at the State Fair this past Friday, I knew I wanted them to be extra special and original so I went with these delicious Salted Caramel Oatmeal Cream Pies along with my crowd-pleasing Root Beer Float Cupcakes. The audience of a couple hundred sweet and smiling faces seemed to love them, as there was not one sample left when the baking was done! And boy was it fun!
The sweet and salty combo of these cream pies will have you begging for more!
Even the skeptics in the audience at my demo were thanking me and running home to bake a batch themselves. They’re just that good!
Salted Caramel Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 32 mins
- Yield: 30 1x
- Category: Dessert
Classic oatmeal cream pies made extra special with the ever so amazing…salted caramel! These cookies are loaded with little bits of caramel and are sprinkled with a little sea salt to compliment the sweetness of the caramel filling.
- 3/4 cup (1–1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1–1/2 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (11-ounce) bag caramel bits
- coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping (12 ounce jar)
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 3–1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gradually, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until well combined. Stir in the caramel bits until evenly distributed.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop two-teaspoon size portions of dough onto the prepared cookie sheets a few inches apart from each other. Using the bottom of a lightly greased glass, press each scoop of dough until it’s flat and about 2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of sea salt.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until cookies are just starting to brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare the caramel filling. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter and caramel topping until smooth. Add the sea salt and then the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until well combined. Turn the mixer speed to high and beat the filling until thick and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Turn half of the cookies over and spread with the filling. Top with a similar size cookie.