Moist and fluffy pumpkin banana pancakes drizzled with a delicious pumpkin spice syrup makes for a perfect fall breakfast!
It’s your lucky day! My husband texted me yesterday afternoon to inform me that today would be National Pancake Day! Pancakes!!! I’ll admit, I don’t pay much attention to most of the national food holidays because there seems to be a new one every day and I just can’t keep up, but Brandon’s text excited me because I have an awesome pancake recipe patiently waiting it’s turn to be posted. Well, the wait is over! It’s National Pancake Day and these beauties got bumped up because they definitely deserve the spotlight on this yummy holiday!
This is one of those recipes that just happened on a whim last Saturday when I was looking for something to feed the boys for breakfast. We had a few ripe bananas on the counter along with several cans of pumpkin that I had bought for some upcoming recipe testing. So pumpkin banana pancakes it was and boy were they a hit! Such a hit that we ate the entire batch…in one breakfast! I was amazed and a bit terrified as I know this is just the beginning of what’s to come with four hungry boys in the house. I hope I can keep up!
These pancakes really are perfect! Perfectly moist from all the pumpkin and banana, perfectly spiced from a pinch of cinnamon and perfectly sweet from a touch of brown sugar. Whole wheat flour gives them a slight hearty texture and a boost in nutrition.
But what makes these perfect pancakes extraordinary is this special Pumpkin Spice Syrup!
Words can’t even express how amazing it is! I’m pretty sure I caught myself drinking it right out of the shot jar before forcing myself to pour it on the pancakes. It’s a simple syrup that’s serious in flavor from the addition of pumpkin and spice! I couldn’t imagine these pancakes without it!
So let’s celebrate National Pancake Day by whipping up a quick batch of these tasty Pumpkin Banana Pancakes and topping them with lots of Pumpkin Spice Syrup. Such an easy way to make breakfast extra special!
Serve warm syrup over warm pancakes. Enjoy!!!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup canned pure pumpkin
- ½ cup mashed banana (about 1 large)
- ½ cup canned pure pumpkin
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the milk, vanilla, melted butter and egg, and whisk until well combined. Stir in the pumpkin and banana.
- Melt some butter on a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Using a small ladle or ¼-cup measuring cup, scoop batter onto hot griddle. Cook until bubbles begin to appear on top of the pancake, then flip and cook until golden on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- To make the syrup, whisk the pumpkin, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice in a small pan over low heat until warm and smooth. Serve warm syrup over warm pancakes.