One amazing cookie dough base, endless cookie flavors! The Mix-Your-Own Cookie experience lets everyone create cookie magic as unique as they are.
The Magic of the Mix-Your-Own Cookie
No two cookie-lovers are the same. And now, no two cookies have to be either! With the most perfect cookie dough base, that can welcome any flavor additions, everyone can mix their own cookie dough and bake the cookie of their dreams.
One night when everyone craved cookies but no one could agree on exactly what kind to make, a pretty sweet thing happened. A super sweet thing! Out came all the mix-ins, I whipped up my reliably great cookie base, and then we all got to work customizing our favorite cookie dough. Mix Your Own Cookie Magic night was born!
Chocolate and Sprinkles and Dried Cranberries, Oh My!
What started on a whim has now become one of our favorite family traditions! Everyone gets their own bowl, a spatula, and free rein of the mix-ins. Sprinkles, chocolate chips, pecans, peanut butter, dried cranberries. Your imagination is the limit! We each make a few special cookie creations and give each other tastes to show off our baking skills. The kids just love mixing things up and seeing what comes out of the oven. Sometimes things even get a little…competitive! We like to have contests to see who can concoct the best cookie creation.
This is a great activity to use a little of this and a little of that from the baking pantry. Got rowdy kids at a playdate? It’s Mix Your Own Cookie Magic to the rescue!
First thing’s first: preheat the oven to 350°F, spray your individual baking pans with cooking spray or line cookie sheets with parchment paper to bake everyone’s cookie creations on the same pan.
Mix up the cookie dough base according to the recipe below. Then comes the fun part…
Raid your baking cupboard for all those sweet odds and ends. Don’t forget the savory! A little sprinkle of sea salt or salty pretzels can be absolute heaven.
Add your cookie dough base to a large bowl with a cookie scoop for portioning cookies. We use a 2 ounce scoop, but if yours is smaller or larger, no biggie! Just adjust the baking time and watch the cookies closely as they bake.
Scoop each cookie dough creation into small cake pans or on cookie sheets (do not flatten) and bake for 8-10 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Cookies are done when the edges are golden or light brown and the centers look set. Try not to over-bake them if you want them to be chewy!
The result is a rainbow of cookie creations that will tickle the tastebuds of everyone involved! From rainbow sprinkle, white chocolate chip to chewy pecan chocolate turtle. It’s never the same twice, and it’s never not fun and delicious.
I hope you and your loved ones enjoy the Mix-Your-Own Cookie Magic experience as much as we do. It’s such a fun way to spend time together being creative in the kitchen!
If you’re inspired to mix YOUR own cookie, be sure to snap a picture and share it with me @thebakermama on Instagram so I can see. I love seeing how inspired and creative y’all get with the ideas and recipes I share. Have fun and enjoy!
One amazing cookie dough base, endless cookie flavors! The Mix Your Own Cookie experience lets everyone create cookie magic as unique as they are.
Cookie Dough Base:
- 1–1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mini-Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- M&M minis
- Dried Cranberries
- Chopped Walnuts
- Slivered Almonds
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray baking pans with cooking spray or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the 1-1/2 cups butter (3 sticks), granulated sugar and brown sugar together until well combined. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the flour, baking soda and salt until combined.
- Add cookie dough base to large bowl with a cookie scoop for portioning cookies.
- Scoop cookie dough into individual bowls so each person can add their preferred mix-ins.
- Let each person use a small spatula or spoon to combine their mix-ins and dough.
- Scoop each cookie dough creation onto a baking pan, spacing a few inches apart if they’re on the same pan. Do not flatten the cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, Cookies are done when the edges are golden or light brown and the centers look set. Try not to over-bake them if you want them to be chewy!