A simple scrumptious Apple Skillet Cake full of sweet apples and comforting spice!
When I think comfort food, it’s usually savory warm meals that are filling and crave-worthy. And then the comforting desserts start coming to mind and this warm apple skillet cake fresh out of the oven with a dollop of whipped cream is about as comforting as they come.
It’s simple yet so scrumptious! The apples are sautéed in the skillet before being mixed with the cake batter and poured back into the sweetened spiced skillet to be baked to tender tastiness.
It’s absolutely fabulous and everyone always enjoys it! It’s the cake I bake for Sunday supper, afternoon coffee with friends, and weekend brunch for a crowd. Oh, and we absolutely love baking it for breakfast alongside some bacon and eggs. Yummy yum!
A comforting cake that you can bake quickly and effortlessly with a few apples that you probably already have on hand.
A simple scrumptious skillet cake full of sweet apples and comforting spice!
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large McIntosh apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1–1/2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- whipped topping, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add the diced apples, 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until apples start to soften. Turn off heat.
- In a large microwave safe mixing bowl, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons butter and let cool slightly before whisking in the remaining 1 cup light brown sugar. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda and salt, and stir until just combined. Fold in the apples.
- Spread the cake batter evenly back into the skillet that you sautéed the apples in. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cooled.