Frozen bananas and mini chocolate chips are all it takes to make these tasty little ice cream bites that are the perfect healthy summer treat!
Well, ready or not, summer is here! Schools are letting out and the weather is starting to warm up, for most of us.
One of our favorite summer treats is one-ingredient banana “ice cream”. I stock up on the bananas and as soon as they get a little overripe, I’ll slice them and freeze them so we can make banana ice cream anytime we get a craving. The boys think it’s real ice cream and are completely satisfied with it. It’s so much healthier so I’m thrilled they love it so much.
Well, as I was making a batch the other day I was thinking how could I make this to where we already have it ready to go in the freezer and easy for the boys to eat poolside or during a swinging/sliding break in the backyard?
It just dawned on me to try scooping the ice cream into mini muffin cups so the boys would have these little ice cream bites to enjoy throughout the day without having to use bowls or spoons.
They turned out great! I threw in some mini chocolate chips for fun and extra yum! Each bite is about two bites of creamy dreamy banana ice cream with a little crunch from the mini chocolate chips.
They’re so easy to make and store in the freezer just great. I’ve already stocked our freezer for the next few weeks.
All you have to do is slice and freeze about 6 very ripe bananas for about an hour and a half.
You’ll set the bananas out for about 5 minutes to let them soften a bit before pulsing/blending them in a food processor or blender until smooth and creamy, and then stir in the mini chocolate chips.
Scoop the ice cream into a greased mini muffin pan, filling each cup almost full, then sprinkle each one with a few more mini chocolate chips. Place the bites in the freezer for about an hour and then use a knife to pop each one out. You’ll stack them in a freezer safe container with parchment paper between each layer of bites to prevent them from sticking together.
It’s as easy as that and you’ll have healthy treats ready to eat when you need to cool off from the summer heat.
The boys pretty much beg me for these every afternoon and are usually satisfied with one (sometimes two). I could eat the whole batch if I let myself. 😉 I seriously have to remind myself that it’s pure bananas that make them so creamy and naturally sweet. They’re so good!
Here’s to a happy healthy summer full of fun & yum!
- 6 very ripe bananas
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the bananas into ½-inch slices and lay flat on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove frozen bananas from the freezer and let set out for about 5 minutes while you set up your food processor or blender. You want the bananas to softened just a bit, but still be frozen.
- Place the bananas in the food processor and pulse/blend until smooth and creamy. Stir in ½ cup mini chocolate chips.
- Grease a mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop the banana ice cream into each cup, filling each one almost full, then sprinkle the top of each cup with a few more mini chocolate chips. Place the muffin pan in the freezer for an hour.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pop each bite out with a knife. Stack the banana ice cream bites in a freezer safe container with a lid, placing parchment paper between each layer of bites to keep them from sticking together.
- When ready to eat, remove however many bites you want from the freezer container and let set out for a few minutes before eating.