Get your grill on with these awesome grilled calzones that are filled with barbeque chicken and lots of melting cheese.
I’m crazy about calzones! I actually have a hard time deciding sometimes whether I want pizza or a calzone when we’re at a pizza place. I love how all the toppings melt together inside the crispy chewy crust with a calzone and that’s certainly hard to turn down.
We were in a grilling mood over the weekend and had some leftover barbeque chicken so I told Brandon to fire up the grill again because I was craving calzones and filling them with barbeque chicken, cheese and a little cilantro sounded absolutely amazing! And that it was…
Grilling calzones is the way to go! The crust gets nice and charred and crispy while the fillings all melt together inside. Easy and so delicious!
The dough recipe for these calzones is one of my faves! It’s so easy to mix together, no rising required and it’s perfectly soft and chewy for calzones.
I kept the fillings simple with some shredded chicken and red onion tossed in our favorite barbeque sauce and then topped it with some good ol’ mozzarella and a sprinkle of cilantro before sealing it up and grilling it to calzone perfection.
We had so much fun making, grilling and eating these yummy calzones! A winner for sure!
So get your grill on with these crowd-pleasing calzones. Everyone will love them!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1-1/4 cup barbeque sauce, divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together the flour, yeast and salt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the warm water and then the oil and honey. Mix with the paddle attachment until the mixture starts to come together. Switch to the dough hook and let the mixer knead the dough for 10 minutes until a soft, smooth ball starts to form. If you don’t have a dough hook or an electric mixer, you can do this with your hands.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the chicken, red onion and ¾ cup barbeque sauce. Set aside along with the cheese and cilantro.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Divide dough into 4-8 pieces. Form each piece into a ball and then flatten into a round disc with your hands. Spread the dough with a thin layer of barbeque sauce, leaving a rim around the edge. Place ½ cup chicken mixture on one side of the dough. Sprinkle with cheese and a little cilantro. Fold the non-covered half of the dough over the filling and press the edges together with your thumb. Repeat with remaining dough and fillings.
- Brush each calzone and the grill with a little oil. Grill the calzones for about 5 minutes per side until grill marks start to form and crust is crisp.