Cinnamon rolls layered like a lasagna for a delicious twist to everyone’s favorite breakfast indulgence!
This is quite possibly the greatest greatness to ever come out of my oven! It’s cinnamon rolls that are layered like a lasagna and every single bite tastes like the doughy middle that everyone loves! Enough said, right?!
This decadent dish actually happened on a whim one morning when I was planning to make mini cinnamon rolls, but they kept unrolling so I just layered them in a baking dish and breakfast brilliance was born!
We were amazed by how great it turned out and I was so relieved because I had volunteered to bring cinnamon rolls to breakfast with the parents that morning at Baker’s school. Needless to say, they disappeared within minutes and I can’t even tell you how many people have asked for the recipe since!
Let me show you how simple it is to make this delicious breakfast treat! No rising required…just layer and bake!
Seriously, the best! I don’t know if I’ll ever make regular cinnamon rolls again!
Layer after layer of soft dough, butter, cinnamon and a sweet vanilla glaze. A simple breakfast treat that will blow your loved ones away!
Enjoy every indulgent bite!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 3 cups Gold Medal® self-rising flour
- ½ cup butter flavored shortening or softened unsalted butter
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour and cut the shortening in with a pastry blender or two knives until well combined and mixture is crumbly. Stir in the buttermilk until a thick dough forms. Let rest in bowl while preparing the filling and glaze.
- In a small bowl, melt ½ cup butter for the filling. Once melted, whisk in brown sugar and cinnamon until well combined and smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together glaze ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Roll the dough out into a rough 16x16-inch square. Cut dough into 1-inch strips and cut each strip in half.
- Spread a few tablespoons of filling evenly over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Place enough strips of dough into the bottom of the baking dish so it is completely covered and the dough strips are touching. Spread with about ¼ cup filling. Drizzle with about ½ cup glaze. Repeat with remaining dough strips, filling and glaze until you have three layers in the baking dish, covering the top layer with filling and glaze, but reserving about ¼ cup glaze for drizzling over the lasagna once it's baked.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is starting to crisp and brown. Let set at least 10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with remaining glaze just before serving.