Crispy skin and a soft, piping hot center: the hallmarks of a great baked potato. In The BakerMama’s Basics: How to Bake a Potato, I teach you the simple, tried-and-true steps to getting the perfectly baked potato, every time.
- Large Russet potato or sweet potato
- Olive oil or melted butter (approximately 1-2 tablespoons per potato)
- Kosher salt
- Preheat Oven to 425°F
- Prep baking sheet with parchment paper (and optional oiled baking rack)
- Wash potatoes throughly with a vegetable brush and pierce the skin of the potato with a fork several times.
- Rub with olive oil (melted butter works great, too!) and sprinkle generously with kosher salt.
- Bake at 425° for 45-60 minutes, flipping potato about halfway through, if not using a rack.
Baking time depends entirely on the size of the potato. Check doneness by piercing with a fork.
Keywords: Baked Potato