Whole wheat banana donuts that are baked not fried and dipped in a pure peanut butter glaze for a easy and healthier breakfast treat that’s oh so yummy to eat!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- sprinkles, if desired
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a regular size donut pan (that makes 6 donuts) with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the mashed bananas.
- Place batter in a large resealable plastic bag and snip off one of the corners. Pipe batter into prepared donut pan, filling each ring about 2/3 full. If you have two pans, you could go ahead and use all of the batter at once. If not, you will need to bake the donuts in two batches.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until donuts are set and spring back up when touched. Let cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Repeat process with remaining batter until you have 12 donuts.
- While donuts are cooling, microwave the peanut butter in a shallow bowl for about 45-60 seconds or until melted and smooth. Dip the top of each donut into and out of the melted peanut butter twice and then turn upside down on a wire rack that’s set over a baking sheet so the peanut butter can drip down the sides of the donut and the excess onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with sprikles, if desired.
- Serve right away or let rest until the peanut butter sets, about 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.