Step-by-step guide to from making picture-perfect double pie crust.
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold & cubed
- 1/4 cup cold water
Egg Wash and Topping
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Generously butter a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Add the water and knead with your hands until well combined. Divide dough into two equal balls.
- Flatten each ball of dough slightly and wrap with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let set while you prep the work surface. On a lightly floured surface using a floured rolling pin, roll each ball of dough into a disc that is about 1-inch larger than the pie plates. Check for size by inverting the pie plate over the rolled out disc of dough to measure for a 1-inch edge surrounding the pie plate. The disc should be about 1/8-inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to the pie plate by gently rolling the dough up around your rolling pin and then placing the rolling pin on one side of the pie plate and rolling it into the plate. Press down and around to make the dough fit the pie plate and hang over the sides.
- Fill the dough in the pie plate with desired filling. Place the other disc of dough over the top of the filling in the pie plate. Trim the dough all around the rim of the pie plate and then decorate (flute, pinch or fork) the crusts together or just gently press the top and the bottom crusts together around the edges. With a sharp knife, make six small slits in a circle pattern in the middle of the top crust.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush over the top and edges of the lattice or double crusted pie. Sprinkle evenly with sugar.
- Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet and bake according to recipe instructions. If the top or edges of the crust are starting to brown before the filling is bubbling, tint the pie with foil and continue to bake until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let pie cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.