Super soft pretzels with a salty crust that are easy to make and better than the ones you’ll buy at the mall or a ballpark.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (2–1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 2–1/2 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 cups water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, add the yeast and sugar. Gently pour the warm water over it and let proof until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the melted butter and then stir in the flour and salt until well combined. Using well-floured hands, form dough into a moist ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Bring 7 cups water and 1/3 cup baking soda to a slight boil in a large pot. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cover one baking sheet with parchment paper. Set a wire rack over another baking sheet.
- Once dough has doubled in size, divide into 12 equal portions, about 1/4 cup each. Place portions of dough back into the greased bowl and cover with the damp cloth while you work with one portion at a time.
- Roll and stretch a portion of dough into a 22-inch rope with your hands, working from the center to the ends. Twist the rope into a pretzel shape. Gently dip the pretzel into the hot baking soda solution, for about 30 seconds, and then transfer to the wire rack. Repeat process with 5 more portions of dough, as you’ll just want to bake 6 at a time.
- Transfer pretzels to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Whisk together the egg and 1 teaspoon water. Brush the egg wash all over the tops and sides of each pretzel and immediately sprinkle generously with coarse salt.
- Place baking sheet on the top rack of the oven and bake pretzels until golden, 12-14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking time.
- While first batch of pretzels are baking, prepare the other 6 pretzels so they’re ready to go in the oven when the first batch comes out.
Serve with mustard or cheese sauce. Enjoy!