Rocky road ice cream sandwiched between two halves of a light and airy chocolate puff that’s then drizzled with homemade marshmallow topping for a surprisingly simple and incredibly delicious dessert!
- Chocolate Pâte à Choux:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract, optional
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3–1/4 cups rocky road ice cream
- Marshmallow Ice Cream Topping:
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- mini chocolate morsels (or your favorite finely chopped chocolate)
- sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the profiterole template from Barbara’s blog under the parchment paper, if desired.
- Sift together flour and cocoa, set aside.
- Bring butter, sugar, salt, and 3/4 cup water to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Immediately remove from heat, and quickly stir in flour mixture all at once. Return to heat, and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 to 2 minutes, or until dough is smooth and forms a ball. Transfer dough to the bowl of an electric mixer, and let cool 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate extract, if desired. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until mixture is smooth and glossy. Spoon dough into a pastry bag fitted with a tip or use an ice cream scoop to scoop the dough. Pipe dough onto prepared baking sheets into 2-inch rounds (2-inches high). Smooth out peaks and round tops with a moistened finger.
- Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350°F, and bake 30 minutes. Turn oven off, let shells stand in closed oven 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheets to wire racks, and cool completely.
- Cut profiteroles in half horizontally. Scoop 1/4 cup ice cream onto bottom halves; top with remaining halves. Cover and freeze until ready to serve. Drizzle with marshmallow ice cream topping, and sprinkle with chocolate and almonds just before serving.
- To prepare marshmallow ice cream topping: combine marshmallow creme, butter and heavy cream or milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds or until mixture is smooth and creamy.