Classic Neapolitan flavors of strawberry, vanilla and chocolate are layered together in this rich and buttery Neapolitan Pound Cake that’s drizzled with a simple sweet glaze and made even more festive with colorful sprinkles. A great cake for any occasion!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1–1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chocolate instant pudding mix
- 3 tablespoons vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin mix
- 1–1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup sprinkles, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 10-inch round tube cake pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until well incorporated. With the mixer on low speed, slowly beat in the buttermilk and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, one cup at a time, until just combined.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between three medium-sized mixing bowls, about 2 cups of batter per bowl. Add the chocolate instant pudding mix to one bowl, the vanilla instant pudding mix to another bowl and the strawberry gelatin mix to the third bowl. Stir the batter in each bowl until the mix is well combined and the batter is smooth.
- Start with the strawberry batter and spread it evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Next, spread the vanilla batter over the strawberry batter, covering it completely. Finally, spread the chocolate batter over the vanilla batter, spreading it to cover the vanilla batter completely.
- Place the cake pan on a baking sheet and bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan 20 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth and of drizzling consistency. Add more powdered sugar if too thin or more milk if too thick.
- Transfer cake to a cake stand or serving platter and drizzle with icing. Sprinkle with colorful sprinkles, if desired.