How to bake a sweet potato with delicately crisp skin and a tender, hot center. Learn simple, tried-and-true steps to getting the perfectly baked sweet potato every time!
- Large sweet potatoes
- Olive oil or melted butter (about 1 tablespoon per potato)
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or line the baking sheet with foil and coat with olive oil.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly with a vegetable brush and pat dry.
- Pierce the skin of the potato with a fork several times.
- Rub with olive oil (melted butter works great, too!) and sprinkle generously with kosher salt.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, flipping the potato about halfway through the baking time, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. The baking time depends on the size of the potato. You can check the doneness by piercing the potato with a fork or squeezing it with an oven mitt.