Healthier Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins made with whole wheat flour, greek yogurt, no butter or oil, and sweetened with all-natural flavored cane syrup.
- 1–1/2 cups white whole wheat or whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup vanilla flavored greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup non-fat milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa. In a medium bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, yogurt, vanilla, egg and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the larger bowl and stir with a spoon until well combined. Stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling each one almost full. Press a few of the remaining chocolate chips into the top of the batter for each muffin.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, rotating muffin pan halfway through baking time, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (If you hit a chocolate chip with the toothpick when testing the muffins, try it in another spot as the chocolate chips will most definitely put melted chocolate on the toothpick.)
- Let muffins rest in pan for 5 minutes before serving or transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.