Deliciously fresh strawberry cake shaped like a heart and covered in a creamy dreamy strawberry frosting for a festive Valentine’s Day dessert!
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1–1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (3 ounce) box strawberry flavored gelatin (1 tablespoon reserved for frosting)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon strawberry flavored gelatin
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Fresh strawberries, for garnishing, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of one 8-inch round cake pan and one 8-inch square cake pan with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit. Lightly grease and flour both cake pans and set aside.
- Wash the strawberries, remove the stems and cut them into quarters. Place the strawberries in a shallow bowl and mash gently with the back of a fork until all strawberries are mashed and some juices are released. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until well combined. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, all but 1 tablespoon of the strawberry gelatin package, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk, ending with the flour mixture, until well combined and batter is smooth. With the mixer on low, beat in the mashed strawberries and their juices.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared cake pans. Bake cakes for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans 20 minutes before running a knife around the edge and turning the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cakes are cooled, cut the round cake in half. Place the square cake on a large cake stand or platter so that it look like a diamond when you’re looking at it. Place the half circle cakes on the top flat sides of the diamond to create a heart shape. See step-by-step images.
- To make the frosting beat the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon strawberry gelatin and powdered sugar and mix on low speed until just combined. Turn the mixer to medium-high speed and beat frosting until fluffy. Add additional powdered sugar if frosting is too thin to spread.
- Spread frosting evenly over the top and sides of the cake. Cut and serve. Store in the refrigerator.