- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1–3/4 cups crushed peppermint candy, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until smooth. Add the egg and peppermint extract and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter/sugar mixture and beat on low speed until just combined. Stir in 1-1/4 cups crushed peppermint candy.
- Scoop dough by heaping tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheets. Press down on each scoop of dough with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly. Bake for 8 minutes or until cookies just start to crack on top. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle each cookie with some of the remaining crushed peppermint.
- Let cookies cool on cookie sheets 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.