Moist spiced apple cupcakes covered with gooey caramel and crunchy nuts for a fun and tasty fall treat!
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 medium apples (about 1 pound), peeled and shredded
- 20 caramel squares
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
- 12 mini wooden popsicle sticks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with baking liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth. Whisk in the oil and vanilla. Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture until just combined. Fold in the shredded apples.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake liners until each cup is almost full. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry, about 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, melt the caramels and half-and-half over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Spread thickened caramel generously on each cooled cupcake and immediately sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Insert a mini popsicle stick into the center of each cupcake.