Moist spiced apple cupcakes covered with gooey caramel and crunchy nuts for a fun and tasty fall treat!
- 1–1/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 medium apples (about 1 pound), peeled and shredded
- 20 caramels
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 12 Popsicle sticks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with baking liners. Cut about an inch off of each popsicle stick with sharp scissors.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth. Whisk in the oil and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the shredded apples.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan until each cup is almost full. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, cook the caramels and half-and-half over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes. Spread caramel frosting generously on each cooled cupcake and immediately sprinkle with chopped pecans. Insert a popsicle stick, cut side down, into the center of each cupcake.