Delicious Brown Butter Blueberry White Chocolate Oat Bars made with plump blueberries, white chocolate, hearty oats, brown butter and an irresistible streusel.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place 8 tablespoons butter in a light-colored pan over medium heat and whisk constantly as it melts. The butter will start to bubble and foam and then subside as the water evaporates and the milk solids start to turn a light brown color. Just as it starts to turn light brown and you smell that nutty aroma, remove it from the heat and poor into a heat proof bowl to let cool for about 10 minutes. (Once the butter starts to brown, it will race into burnt, so watch it carefully and remove from the heat as soon as it starts to brown.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Stir in the brown butter, lightly beaten egg and vanilla. Stir in the white chocolate chips.
- Spread half of the dough into the prepared baking dish. Gently press the blueberries into the dough in the baking dish, evenly distributing them across the dough. Gently press the remaining dough onto the top of the blueberries.
- Using the same light-colored pan that you browned the butter in for the bars, brown 4 tablespoons of butter for the struesel. Let it cool about 5 minutes before stirring in the brown sugar, flour and oats until a crumbly mixture is created. Sprinkle streusel evenly over the dough in the baking dish.
- Bake the bars until the struesel starts to turn golden brown and crisp on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bars comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.