Chunks of apples nestled in a chewy dough that’s baked to perfection and coated in a sweet apple cider glaze to make these simply irresistible Baked Apple Fritters!
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (6 ounce) container vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apple (about 1 large apple)
- 1/2 cup peeled and shredded apple (about 1 small apple)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray two mini muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbs form.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla and yogurt. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well combined. Fold in the chopped and shredded apples.
- Place a few teaspoons of batter in each muffin cup. Bake for 15 minutes until they just start to brown.
- Remove the fritters from the oven and turn the oven broiler on high. Line two cookie sheets with parchment. Transfer the fritters to the cookie sheets.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons apple cider. The glaze should be very thin. Brush the glaze over each fritter and let it drip down the sides. Return the fritters to the oven and broil for 2-4 minutes until the glaze starts to caramelize the tops of each fritter. Rotate the baking sheets every minute to insure even caramelization. Be sure to watch the fritters carefully so they don’t blacken and burn.
- Remove from the oven. Whisk remaining powdered sugar and apple cider into leftover glaze until it’s smooth and thick. Brush glaze evenly over broiled fritters. Let set on cookie sheets until glaze hardens, about 15 minutes.
- Notes: Store in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave for 15-20 seconds or in the oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes.