Inspired by our family vacation to Costa Rica, this Avocado Rice is a tangy, creamy, and delicious side dish that tastes like paradise!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more if needed
- 1 and 3/4 cups water
- 1 large lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 medium avocados, lightly mashed with chunks
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice, salt, and water to the saucepan. Stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the water to a. boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 more minutes, then fluff the cooked rice with a fork.
- Add the zest and juice of the lime and the cilantro to the pan and gently stir to combine.
- Fold in the lightly mashed avocado. Season with more salt, if desired.