Summer and fall favorites collide in this moist and delicious sweet bread that’s loaded with nutritious pumpkin, zucchini and whole wheat flour.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (15 ounce) can pure pumpkin
- 1–1/2 cups shredded zucchini, squeezed and patted dry of excess liquid
- thinly sliced zucchini for garnishing, if desired
- generous sprinkle of granulated sugar on top
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour an 9×5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a spoon until well combined. Stir in the pumpkin then fold in the shredded zucchini until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Place some thin slices of zucchini down the middle of the loaf, if desired. Sprinkle the top of the batter generously with granulated sugar. Bake for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the bread starts to brown too much on top, tint with foil until cooked all the way through. Let cool in pan 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.