Yummy frosting-filled strawberry lemonade cupcakes make for a perfectly sweet summer treat!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1–1/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1–1/2 large juiced lemons)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup seeded strawberry jam
- lemon slices for garnishing, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, melt the butter for about 90 seconds. Let set for 5 minutes and then stir in the sugar. Stir in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and milk, and stir gently until batter is smooth and creamy.
- Divide batter evenly among the liners in the prepared cupcake pan, filling each one almost full. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth. With the mixer on low speed, add 2 cups powdered sugar and then 1 tablespoon milk until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add 2 more cups powdered sugar and another tablespoon of milk. Add remaining 3 cups powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk until well combined. Add jam and mix until just combined then turn the mixer to medium-high speed and beat frosting until thick and fluffy. Transfer frosting to a plastic bag fitted with a decorating tip.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, carve the center out of each cupcake with a pairing knife. Cut the pointy tip off the bottom of the removed center so that you can put the top back on the cupcake. Fill the center of each cupcake with a few teaspoons of frosting. Replace the top of the cut out piece of cupcake. Pipe frosting onto the top of each cupcake and garnish with a lemon slice and straw, if desired.
- Notes: Store cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.