Scratch-baked soft and buttery breakfast Sticky Buns that are filled with cinnamon sugar and coated in a sweet sticky glaze with pecans all over and throughout. Talk about a terrific way to start your day!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (2–1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- For the dough: In a large bowl, melt the butter and let it cool slightly.
- Add the yeast and sugar to a small bowl. Gently pour the warm water over it. Let proof until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Once butter is slightly cooled, whisk in the milk, egg and yeast mixture. Add the flour and salt and stir until well combined. Using well-floured hands, form dough into a moist ball. Place in a buttered bowl and cover tightly in plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Make the filling: Melt the butter in a small bowl & let slightly cool before stirring in the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Gently punch down on the risen dough to release the air bubbles. Roll it out onto a well-floured surface to a 15×10-inch rectangle. Spread the dough with the filling and sprinkle evenly with the 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- Beginning at the 15-inch side, roll the dough up tightly and pinch the edge against the side of the roll. Using a serrated knife cut the roll of dough into 12 slices.
- Make the sauce: In a medium bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and pecan pieces. Spread sauce evenly into the bottom of a buttered 13×9-inch baking dish.
- Place the roll slices, cut side down, slightly apart on top of the sauce. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise again in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake sticky buns for 25-30 minutes or until they start to turn golden brown on top. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate to serve.