No rolling or cutting required when making these adorable snowman sugar cookies. A fun and festive winter treat to make with the kids!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1–1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tarter
- mini candy cane-filled chocolate cookies (for the base of the hat)
- mini caramel filled chocolate candies (for the top of the hat)
- pull-apart red licorice candy (for scarf)
- orange colored chocolate chips or mini orange chocolate candies (for nose)
- mini brown chocolate candies (for eyes and mouth)
- mini red and green chocolate candies (for buttons)
- bottle of white cupcake decorating frosting with small tip, for sticking the candies to the snowman
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl an electric mixer, beat the shortening and powdered sugar until smooth. Scrap down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on high speed until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and cream of tarter. Add the dry ingredients to the sugar/shortening mixture in the mixer and beat on low speed until just combined and then on medium speed until a thick dough forms.
- Using measuring spoons or three different sized cookie scoops, scoop the dough into 2 tablespoon, 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon sized balls, placing them right next to each other on the prepared baking sheet in a snowman shape. Press down slightly on all three balls of dough at the same time with the palm of your hand to flatten the dough into a snowman shape. Repeat with remaining dough placing each snowman a few inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies start to crack, but not brown. Let cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cooled, it’s time to decorate. For the hat, separate the mini cookies and use the filled size as the bottom of the hat. Attach the bottom of the caramel filled chocolate candy to the filled side of the mini cookie with a little white frosting. Set aside. Arrange the mini brown candies and orange chocolate chip or candy onto the head for the eyes, nose and mouth, attaching with some white frosting. Take two of the red pull-apart licorice and wrap them around the cookie where the top and middle cookie meet. Gently tie the licorice like a scarf. Attach the hat to the top of the snowman’s head with some frosting. Alternate the mini red and green candies down the middle of the snowman, attaching with a dot of frosting. Let the frosting set so the candy sticks.