This Sausage Egg Casserole is an easy make-ahead breakfast that reheats in a snap. Protein-packed with eggs, sausage and cheese and loaded with fresh peppers, it’s a delicious way to start the day!
- 1 (16 ounce) package pork sausage
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced (about ½ cup)
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish or pan and set aside.
- Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and crumble with a wooden spoon. Cook until browned.
- Remove the cooked sausage from the skillet to the prepared baking dish. Add the diced onion and diced bell peppers to the hot skillet. Sauté until onion is translucent and peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Add to the baking dish with the sausage.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and heavy cream. Whisk until thick and the eggs are pale yellow. Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage, onions and peppers in the baking dish and gently stir with a fork to combine.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm in the center.
Reheat the whole pan at 300 degrees for 20 minutes. Or heat individual squares in the microwave on high for 30 seconds.