A rich and dreamy chocolate muffin that’s oozing with caramel and sprinkled with a touch of salt in these Salted Caramel Chocolate Muffins.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1–1/2 cups chocolate chips
- coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- 1–1/2 cups caramel topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line each cup of a 12-cup muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the center and add the oil, milk, sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling each cup all the way full. Sprinkle each cup with a pinch of sea salt.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Let muffins set in pan for 10 minutes.
- Fit a pastry bag, frosting holder, or plastic baggie with a long decorating tip. Fill the bag with the caramel. Insert the tip through the top of the muffin to a depth of about one inch. Insert two tablespoons of caramel into each muffin until it starts to flow out the top. Let muffins set in pan another 10 minutes before removing.
- Notes: Store in an airtight container.