These yummy Pot of Gold Cookies with a candy rainbow make for a festive St. Patrick’s Day treat that’s easy to make and fun to eat!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sparkling sugar, for coating
- 1 (8 ounce) tube white decorating icing
- 1/2 cup mini yellow coated chocolate candies
- 6 rainbow berry candy strips, cut into 3-inch pieces
- Preheat oven 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg yolk and beat until well combined. Beat in the milk and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixer and beat until a thick dough forms.
- Place 1/3 cup sparkling sugar in a shallow bowl. Shape cookie dough into 2 tablespoon sized balls. Roll each ball in the sparkling sugar and place a few inches apart on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Using the bottom of a wooden spoon, make a hole in the center stirring the end of the spoon around very gently to make the hole a bit large than the end of the spoon. The hole should not go all the way through the cookie. Flatten each cookie slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until they just start to crackle in places. Let rest on cookie sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about another 8-10 minutes.
- Cut the candy strips into 3-inch pieces. Set out the mini yellow candies and prepare the icing tube with a star attachment.
- When the cookies have cooled, pipe some icing into the hole in the center of a cookie. Pile enough yellow candies over the icing to cover it and make the cookie look like a pot of gold. Pipe two cloud-like stars on opposite sides of the cookie and arrange a candy strip in a rainbow shape sticking each end of the candy strip into the cloud-like icing. Repeat with remaining cookies.