Cool off with this marvelous mint chocolate chip ice cream cake! A summer must!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate-covered mint candies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwavable bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly. Whisk in the sugar then the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Divide dough in half and press each half evenly into the bottom of the prepared cake pans. Bake for approximately 10 minutes. Let cool completely in pans before running a sharp knife around the edges and inverting onto a wire rack.
- Set ice cream out to soften. Line one of the 9-inch cake pans with plastic wrap so it covers the bottoms and sides and hangs over the edges. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Carefully, transfer one of the cookie cakes to the bottom of the prepared cake pan. Cover with ice cream. Place the other cookie cake upside down on top of the ice cream layer. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, lift the cake from the cake pan with the plastic wrap. Remove the plastic wrap and place cake on a cake stand or serving platter. Spread whipped topping evenly onto the top of the cake. Drizzle generously with chocolate syrup. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate mint candies. Serve and enjoy!