These crowd-pleasing calzones are easy to make and perfect for a busy weeknight dinner or the kids’ lunchbox!
- 3 cups Gold Medal® Better for Bread™ bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2–1/4 teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup very warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 package pepperonis
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine 1 cup flour with sugar, salt and yeast. Add olive oil and warm water. Beat on medium speed 2-3 minutes, scraping bowl frequently.
- Stir in remaining flour until just combined. Switch to a dough hook and knead dough for 5-8 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. If you don’t have a dough hook, place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead with your hands 8-10 minutes.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rest 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly beat the egg in a small bowl.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll to about 1/4 inch thickness. Use a 4 to 5 inch round bowl to measure out circles by placing the bowl on the dough and cutting around it with a knife.
- Place the dough rounds on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Put 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce, 5 pepperonis and a spoonful of mozzarella on the center of each round leaving about 1/4 inch around the edges.
- Brush edges with the beaten egg. Fold each circle over and seal edges with a fork. Brush the top of each calzone with the egg, sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese and a touch of Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp around the edges.