Moist, spongy and delicious, my Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is the perfect combination of tart and sweet. This cake-like quick bread will easily become a family favorite!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Bread: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour two 9×5-inch loaf pans and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the oil, milk and sugar until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each egg is incorporated. Beat in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared loaf pans and bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top of the loaves starts to brown too much before the loaf is baked all the way through, tent the loaf with foil and let it continue baking until baked all the way through.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before inverting to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, orange juice, lemon juice, vanilla, and melted butter until smooth. Pour evenly over warm loaves. Let bread cool completely.