If you like hot fudge sundaes, you’re going to love this Hot Fudge Sundae Cake that tastes just like one. A cake that screams “Let’s Celebrate!”
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (3.56 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix (just the dry mix)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
Whipped Cream Filling:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 (3.56 ounce) package instant white chocolate pudding mix (just the dry mix)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 teaspoons milk, if needed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chopped peanuts
- maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of two 8-inch round cake pans with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit. Lightly grease and flour both cake pans and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, vanilla pudding mix and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until each one is well combined. Mix in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk, ending with the flour mixture, until well combined and batter is smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cake pans. Bake cakes for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans for 15 minutes before running a sharp knife around the edges and turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For best results when making the whipped cream filling, put the bowl (preferably stainless steel) in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before making the filling.
- To make the filling, beat the whipping cream in the chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Add the white chocolate pudding mix and powdered sugar and continue to beat until well combined. Filling should be set and smooth. If it’s too thick, beat in a teaspoon of milk at a time until soft and spreadable.
- Spread a small amount of frosting on the bottom of a cake stand or cake plate. Place one cake layer, top side up, on the cake stand. Spread all but 3/4 cup of the filling over the cake layer, all the way to the edges. It should be a thick layer. Cover the layer of filling with the other cake layer.
- To make the ganache, place the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on low power until just melted, about 90 seconds. Whisk until completely melted and then whisk in the heavy cream until smooth. Let cool for 10 minutes before spreading the ganache on the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with the chopped peanuts. Arrange more chopped nuts around the bottom of the cake, if desired.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the 3/4 cup reserved whipped cream filling and maraschino cherries. Serve, eat and enjoy!