Creamy ricotta and honey roasted cherries on top of golden toast with a drizzle of honey and balsamic and a sprinkle of sea salt. A simple, stunning and oh so scrumptious breakfast or appetizer!
- 12 slices of an Italian baguette, each about 1/4-inch thick
- 26 large very ripe cherries
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus more for drizzling
- 1–1/2 cups (12 ounces) fresh whole milk ricotta cheese
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove the stems from the cherries. Do not remove the pits as this will release too much of the juice. Toss the cherries with 2 tablespoons honey and then spread them out evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the cherries start to release their juices and the skins of the cherries start to wrinkle a bit.
- Meanwhile, place the bread slices in an even layer on a baking sheet. Beat the ricotta in a large mixing bowl with a whisk or in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until as creamy as desired.
- When you remove the cherries from the oven, put the bread slices in the oven and toast for 4 minutes per side until golden on each side.
- While the bread is toasting, pit the cherries by making a small slice in the side of each cherry with a knife and the pit should just slip right out.
- To serve, spread each slice of toast with 2 tablespoons ricotta, 2-3 pitted cherries, a drizzle of honey, a drizzle of balsamic and a pinch of sea salt.
- You can plate all of the toasts at once or put the ingredients out for each person to prepare their own.
You can skip whipping the ricotta and just spread it straight from the container onto the toast, if desired, and it will still taste great!