Two breakfast classics come together in these easy to make and fun to eat French Toast Waffle Sticks. No forks needed!
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 8 slices bread, sliced 1/2-1 inch thick (such as white, whole wheat, challah, brioche, sourdough, etc.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- maple syrup, for dipping
- Preheat waffle iron according to brand/model directions.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until light. Add the milk, vanilla and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and beat until well combined. Transfer mixture to a shallow baking dish.
- Working with how ever many slices of bread will fit in your waffle iron, give each slice of bread a quick dip in the egg mixture, coating both sides to where you can still transfer the bread to the waffle maker without it falling apart. Do not soak the bread. Just a quick dip on both sides. (If you’re using a really dense bread, then you can let it soak, but you might need to double the egg mixture so you have enough to soak all of the bread slices)
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Fill your waffle iron with as many slices of dipped bread as will fit and then close the lid and let the bread cook until golden brown and crispy on the outside, about 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer waffled french toast to a cutting board and immediately sprinkle with some of the reserved cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cut into sticks and serve with syrup for dipping.
Leftover sticks can be stored in an air-tight baggie in the refrigerator and reheated in a 350°F oven for 5-10 minutes to crisp them back up.