These sweet and savory Easy Baked Beans are a no-brainer for your summer cookout. Made with thick bacon, fresh green pepper and plenty of brown sugar, they make a delicious side everyone will love.
- 8 slices thick-sliced bacon
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 3 quart or 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove and set aside. Keep the bacon drippings in the pan.
- Add the chopped onion and green pepper to the pan with the bacon drippings and let sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces. Reserve about 2 tablespoons to garnish the top of the beans with.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beans, the remaining bacon pieces, brown sugar, ketchup, yellow mustard, sauteed onions and green pepper.
- Spoon into prepared dish. Sprinkle with the reserved bacon pieces.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 60-75 minutes or until beans are thickened and bubbly.