How to make Classic Crispy Waffles that turn out perfectly crisp on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside every time!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the milk, whisking until just combined. Whisk in the melted butter and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy and then fold the eggs into the batter a few times. The batter should be streaked with the beaten egg. Sprinkle the batter with 2 tablespoons sugar and gently fold it in until very few streaks of egg are showing. The batter should still be slightly lumpy.
- Let the batter set in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes while you preheat the waffle maker to medium-high heat. Generously spray top and bottom of the waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray and cook waffles according to your waffle maker’s instructions.
- For my waffle maker, I fill it about three-quarters of the way full, spreading it to fill in any gaps. Close the lid gently and cook until the waffles are golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. I try not to peek for at least 4 minutes. Keep the cooked waffles in a 200°F warm oven while you make the remaining waffles.