Chocolate covered frozen banana pops are super fun and customizable – the perfect sweet treat to beat the summer heat! They make for such a great healthy snack or kid-friendly addition to any celebration!
- 4 bananas
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons oil (melted coconut oil, canola oil or vegetable oil)
- 8 popsicle sticks or skewers
- White chocolate or colorful candy melts, melted
- Peanut butter or almond butter, melted
- Shredded coconut
- Mini M&M’s
- Heath bar crumbles
- Sliced almond
- Crushed peanuts
- Crushed oreo cookies
- Small dried fruits or crushed freeze-dried fruits
- Prepare the bananas by peeling them and cutting each in half. Stick a skewer or popsicle stick into the cut end of the banana. Press it in far enough so that the banana is stable, but that there is enough sticking out so that you can hold it.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and oil. Give it a quick stir so that all of the chocolate is coated in the oil.
- Microwave the chocolate and oil in 20 to 30 second intervals, stirring after each. Repeat until the mixture is smooth and completely melted. Watch carefully to make sure that the chocolate in the bottom of the bowl doesn’t burn.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set it next to the bananas and melted chocolate. Set out any toppings you want to sprinkle or drizzle onto the bananas once they’re covered in the chocolate.
- Dip the bananas in the melted chocolate mixture. You can use a spoon to spoon more melted chocolate around the banana and get a more even coating or just dunk the banana in a bowl. Wait for the excess chocolate to drip off before lying flat on the parchment-lined sheet.
- Sprinkle any toppings over the top of the bananas now, while the chocolate is still liquid.*
- Put the tray of bananas in the freezer for 10 minutes for the chocolate to harden.
- Store the bananas in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a week.
*If you plan on drizzling any peanut butter or more melted chocolate over the already coated bananas, you’ll want to do this after the initial layer of chocolate has hardened in the freezer for 10 minutes.