Fabulous chicken pasta salad that’s tossed in a deliciously creamy spinach basil pesto made with yogurt to keep it on the lighter side for a perfect summer dish!
- 12 ounce box whole wheat pasta
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup cubed fresh mozzarella
Creamy Spinach Basil Pesto:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup packed fresh basil
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare the pasta al dente according to package directions.
- Pan sear the chicken with a little salt & pepper until no longer pink and the juices run clear. Let cool on a cutting board for about 5 minutes before cutting into bite-size pieces.
- While the chicken and pasta are cooking and cooling, prepare the pesto. In a blender, blend the garlic, basil, spinach and olive oil until well blended. Stir in the yogurt and shredded parmesan cheese. Salt & pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, toss together the pasta, chicken, halved tomatoes and pesto.
- In a large serving bowl, layer the spinach over the bottom of the bowl. Top with the pasta mixture. Sprinkle with the cubed mozzarella. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
- Toss together before serving or serve as is. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.