A fun recipe for the yumminess of corn dogs, but in casserole form.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1–1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 hot dogs, sliced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons ketchup, plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease an 8-inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Stir in the cheese. Reserve 3/4 cup of the batter for the topping. Spread the remaining batter evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, toss the hot dog pieces with 2 tablespoons ketchup and 1 tablespoon mustard. Spread evenly over the batter in the baking dish. Drop the remaining batter in little clumps over the top of the hot dog pieces.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cornmeal topping starts to brown and crisp a bit. Remove from the oven and drizzle with more ketchup and mustard before serving.