Pancakes made with flavored cake mix add a festive touch to breakfast!
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box dry cake mix (red velvet or strawberry)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix, flour, baking powder, beaten eggs, milk and oil together until combined and smooth.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat and spray with cooking spray before and between each batch of pancakes.
- Scoop ¼ cup portions of the batter onto the hot griddle and cook until the top of the batter just starts to bubble, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, about 1-2 minutes until the pancakes are cooked all the way through.
For Heart Shaped Pancakes
- For heart-shaped pancakes, heat the griddle to medium heat. Place a heart-shaped cookie cutter (or several) on the hot griddle and spray the inside generously with cooking spray. Pour in enough pancake batter to fill just ¼ up the inside of the cookie cutter. The batter will rise as it cooks, so you don’t want to fill the cookie cutter up too much. Let the pancake cook until the top of the batter just starts to bubble, about 2-3 minutes.
- Using kitchen tongs, carefully grab the side of the cookie cutter (don’t use your hands as the cookie cutter will be very hot!) and gently pull it up and off the griddle. The pancake should hold its heart shape at this point.
- Using a spatula, flip the pancake and cook another 1-2 minutes until cooked all the way through. Repeat with remaining batter to make as many heart-shaped pancakes as you desire. Having several heart-shaped cookie cutters cooking pancakes at once will make the process go quicker.