Bring a sweet close to your patriotic festivities with this American Flag Pie. Cherries, blueberries and a sugar-sprinkled crust make this star-spangled dessert so fun and delicious!
- 4 ready-to-bake pie crusts
- 3 (20 ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 (20 ounce) can blueberry pie filling
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sparkling sugar
- Let the pie crusts set out at room temperature for 10 minutes before using.
- Spray a 12” x 17” rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using 3 of the pie crusts, fill the baking sheet completely with the dough. Cut the dough as necessary to cover the sheet pan and let it hang over the edges.
- Trim the dough even with the edge of the sheet pan and form a stand-up rim that extends up by ½-inch and then flute the edges.
- Cut the excess dough into 12 stars using a mini star shaped cookie cutter.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the remaining ready-to-bake pie crust into ½-inch wide strips to create stripes to go across the top of the cherry pie filling.
- Use one of the long strips to create a small rectangle barrier in the top left corner of the sheet pan for the blueberry pie filling and stars.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush the egg wash over the top of the stars and stripes of dough. Save the remaining egg wash to brush over the edges of the pie before baking.
- Fill the large area completely with cherry pie filling.
- Fill the small rectangle with blueberry pie filling.
- Create 5 stripes on top of the cherry pie filling with the long strips of dough. You might have to connect a few strips to make them long enough to go all the way across the sheet pan.
- Arrange the stars on top of the blueberry pie filling.
- Brush the edges of the pie crust with the remaining egg wash.
- Sprinkle the stars and stripes with sparkling sugar.
- Place the prepared pie in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to chill before baking.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bake the pie for about 25 minutes or until the crusts are golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling. If the edges of the pie start to brown before the stars and stripes, cover the edges with foil and continue baking until the crusts on top of the pie are golden brown.
- Let the pie set for about 10 minutes before slicing into and serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Enjoy!