This American Flag Caprese Salad is as delicious as it is patriotic! Top with a Blueberry Balsamic Drizzle and serve with grilled baguette for a perfectly-fresh and festive summer dish!
- 1 (16 ounce) container blueberries (about 1.5 cups)
- 6 – 8 tomatoes on the vine (sliced into 26 slices)
- 2 (16 ounce) logs sliced fresh mozzarella (using 23 slices)
- 40 basil leaves
- 1 (12-inch) baguette
- olive oil, for baguette and garnishing
- flaky sea salt, for garnish
Blueberry Balsamic Drizzle:
- 3 tablespoons wild blueberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Wash blueberries, wash and slice tomatoes, and dry the fresh mozzarella slices. Set aside.
- Cut 12 mini stars out of 3 slices of fresh mozzarella using a mini star cutter. Set aside.
- With a serrated knife, slice the baguette on the diagonal into 20 even slices. Brush each slice on both sides with olive oil and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until lightly toasted and golden brown around the edges.
- Make the Blueberry Balsamic Drizzle, by whisking the wild blueberry preserves, olive oil and balsamic vinegar together until well combined. Set aside.
Arranging the Salad
- Using a 15” x10” rectangular platter, starting ⅓ of the way in from the edge of the top left corner, create the first red row by placing tomato slices across the top of the platter, just under those, place a row of sliced fresh mozzarella, then another row of tomato slices.
- Next create a full white row with slices of fresh mozzarella and a full red row with tomato slices across the entire platter.
- Fill the space left open in the top left corner with blueberries.
- Place the mini mozzarella stars on top of the blueberries to create the stars of the flag.
- Fill a small jar with the blueberry balsamic drizzle.
- Fill a small star bowl from this set or one of these with fresh basil leaves.
- Arrange the toasted baguette on a small serving plate.
- Drizzle the flag with olive oil and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Serve and Enjoy!