Perfectly crusty on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside, this Homemade French Bread is just waiting for a smear of butter. And with only five ingredients, it’s surprisingly simple to make and so delicious to eat!
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5‐6 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine the yeast with sugar and warm water in a large bowl and allow to proof. Mix the salt with the flour and add to the yeast mixture, one cup at a time, until you have a stiff dough.
- Remove to a lightly floured board and knead until no longer sticky, about 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary. Place in a buttered bowl and turn to coat the surface with butter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk ‐ about 1 ½ to 2 hours. Heat the oven to 400°F. Punch down dough.
- Turn out on a floured board and shape into 2 French-style loaves. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 30‐35 minutes, or until well‐browned and hollow sounding when they are tapped.