Everyone will love spooning into this sweet potato spin on a southern specialty!
Sweet potatoes are always a shoe-in to our Thanksgiving feast! We’ll take them pretty much any way they’ll come…baked, mashed, roasted, fried, we love it! Well, this year, I boiled, mashed and baked them into a soft bread that you can eat with a spoon and it’s spectacular!
Have you had spoon bread?! If not, it’s a must try! It’s a cross between a cornbread and a savory pudding that’s downright delicious! My sweet potato spin on this southern specialty makes it slightly sweet and very moist. I guarantee you I will be spooning up seconds of this side dish for everyone at our Thanksgiving table!
Sweet and simple to make and so scrumptious to eat…
Spoon right in! Enjoy!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- In a large saucepan, cover the chopped sweet potato with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let potatoes simmer until tender when pricked with a fork, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and return to pan. Mash with a potato masher.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and white pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, maple sugar, lightly beaten eggs, heavy cream and melted butter. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the mashed potatoes and stir until just combined.
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.