This Mac & Blue Cheese is loaded with rich, creamy cheeses and topped with crunchy buttered breadcrumbs. Seriously, nothing can compare.
When you think of comfort food, what is the first dish that comes to mind?
For me, it’s almost always mac and cheese. But I’m not thinking the boxed kind; I’m thinking the “fancy” kind that is loaded with rich, creamy cheeses and topped with crunchy buttered breadcrumbs. Seriously, nothing can compare.
This Mac & Blue Cheese recipe I am about to share with you is awesome by itself, with a simple salad, or along side a hearty steak. It’s comfort food at its finest!
For the recipe, CLICK HERE.
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked al dente
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- ¼ cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 2-1/2 cups blue cheese crumbles, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish or casserole with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium low heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add flour, whisking constantly, and cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Simmer mixture at least 3 minutes, whisking often, until it starts to thicken. Reduce heat to low and gradually stir in mozzarella and 2 cups of blue cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cooked pasta until well coated.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Pour melted butter over panko breadcrumbs and combine with a fork. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and remaining blue cheese evenly over pasta. Bake until crumbs are browned and blue cheese is bubbling, about 30 minutes.