Learn how to pickle red onion and add tangy flavor to any dish! From tacos to burgers to bagels and lox, pickled red onion brings extra pep and a pop of color to your favorite casual meals.
- 1 large red onion
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Peel and slice the onion as thin as you can.
- In a small saucepan with a lid, add the apple cider vinegar, sugar, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture starts to simmer and the sugar is dissolved. Turn off heat.
- Add the thinly-sliced red onions to the saucepan and stir to coat well with the hot vinegar mixture. Place the lid on top and let the onions marinate for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.