In Basics by The BakerMama, I teach you how to make steel cut oatmeal in the Instant Pot and on the stovetop for the best bowl of tasty hot oatmeal you’ve ever had!
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups water or milk
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- In the bowl of a 6-quart Instant Pot or pressure cooker, stir together the steel cut oats and water. Secure the lid and turn the steam valve to seal.
- Press the “pressure cook” button, then set the cook time to 4 minutes on HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will read “ON” as it comes to pressure, which will take about 15 minutes. When the floating valve in the lid pops up that means the pot is pressurized and the countdown will begin.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, allow the pressure to naturally release for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn the steam release valve to vent to release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove the lid and stir the oats to incorporate any water on top. The oats will continue to thicken as they set.
- Store steel cut oats in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Makes 8 cups
- In a large pot over high heat, bring the water or milk to a boil. Stir in the oats and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Simmer until oats are of desired consistency keeping in mind that the oats will continue to thicken as they set.
- Store steel cut oats in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up 5 days.
- Makes 4 cups