Knowing how to make great grilled cheese can turn a gray day into a great day! A warm, melty grilled cheese with a crisp butter outside and a gooey melted center is the ultimate comfort food.
- 12 soft white sandwich slices
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded or sliced cheddar cheese or American cheese slices
- Spread mayonnaise on one half of each slice of bread.
- Heat a large griddle or skillet over medium-low heat. Add 1 teaspoon of butter to the skillet for each sandwich. Place a slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, over the melted butter. Top with shredded cheese or sliced cheese and then another slice of bread, mayonnaise side up.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown on the outside. Cut in half diagonally to serve.