Soft crusty dinner rolls stuffed with cheese and pepperoni and topped with more cheese and seasonings for an easy pleasing pizza fix.
It’s a dinner roll. It’s pizza. It’s mmmm-azing!
If the boys had their way every day, they would eat pancakes for breakfast, pb&j for lunch and pizza for dinner. Pretty much if it starts with a P, it will please them…with the exception of peas…what is it about peas?!
I definitely make a lot of pancakes, pb&j sandwiches and pizza for them, but I try to switch it up to introduce them to new flavors and ways of eating their favorite foods. Whether it’s putting yogurt and bananas in the pancakes, a unique jam or jelly in their peanut butter sandwiches, or stuffing dinner rolls with pizza toppings, it keeps them and their tastes on their toes.
They definitely gave me and their plates weird looks when I told them we were having pizza for dinner. Ha! All they saw were a few dinner rolls and some roasted veggies on their plates. Once they bit into the rolls, they were thrilled to taste and see pepperoni and melting cheese waiting for them. And they LOVED dipping the rolls in the pizza sauce.
These stuffed pizza rolls are super easy to make and taste so great! You could definitely get creative with the fillings, but I knew classic pepperoni and cheese would be a huge hit in our house.
You can prep the dough and even the rolls earlier in the day or the day before and then bake them up right before you’re ready to serve them.
Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside with melting cheese and pepperoni in every bite. M’m! M’m!
They make for a great weekday dinner, game day grub, party appetizer, after-school snack, and even a lunch box fave. Easy to eat and sure to please!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2-1/2 cups Gold Medal™ Better for Bread™ flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 36 pepperonis
- 2-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ⅓ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- prepared pizza sauce, for dipping
- For the dough:
- In a large bowl, melt the butter. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the yeast and sugar to a separate small bowl. Gently pour the warm water over it. Let proof until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Once butter is slightly cooled, whisk in the milk, egg and yeast mixture. Add the flour and salt and stir until well combined. Using well-floured hands, form dough into a moist ball. Place in a buttered bowl and cover tightly in plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a microwave safe bowl. Spread it evenly over the bottom of a large rimmed baking sheet and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Once the dough has risen, gently punch down on it to release the air bubbles. Divide the dough into 18 (1/4 cup size) balls on a floured surface. Using floured hands, flatten one ball of dough at a time into a 4-inch circle on the floured surface. Place a tablespoon of shredded mozzarella in the center of the dough, top with 2 pepperonis and another teaspoon of cheese. Fold the dough up over the fillings and pinch to seal. Place the sealed side down on the buttered baking sheet. Repeat with remaining balls of dough and fillings, placing the rolls about an inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a microwave safe bowl. Brush it evenly over the tops and sides of the rolls. Sprinkle the garlic salt, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese evenly over the tops of the buttered rolls.
- Bake rolls on the top rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping.